In ancient Chinese medicine, it is believed that dreams are a sign of a troubled mind, that one should sleep through the night and not remember their dreams.
While I have had dreamless nights, I find that I miss them. I take great pleasure in decoding my dreams when I can.
Last night, I fell asleep with my Howlite stone under my pillow. It is said to help insomnia due to an overactive mind. It certainly didn't stop me from dreaming, however. I had active dreams with many familiar faces showing up. I dreamt of my ex-boyfriend for the first time since we split. He made only a brief appearance but I believe that most of the dream was centered around him. A healing dream.
He made a comment about my stone which, oddly enough, I was carrying around with me in the dream. He had a peacefulness around him that he doesn't have in the waking world and he cast a few concerned looks my way.
Admittedly, I have had a hard time letting go of our connection. The closeness was unlike anything I've ever experienced, even in my marriage.
Later when I was alone in the dream, I was on my laptop and googling the phrase "That was yesterday." Now in my generation, Foreigner had a big hit by that name so I awoke thinking about that song. When I googled that phrase in waking life, I came up with mostly Foreigner hits but also an old song by a British duo (Chad and Jeremy) called "Yesterday's gone," which is more appropriate to my interpretation of the dream. "We had such happiness, I can't believe it's gone forever...I loved you yesterday and yesterday's gone."
In the course of the dream, two strong women I know and respect immensely showed up. My interactions with them weren't particularly memorable but I believe that they were merely symbols of strength in the bigger picture.
When I awoke, I had a Cher song running through my mind, one I haven't heard nor thought of in quite some time. It was "Strong Enough," and such an amazing message for my subconscious mind to send me. I also awoke with my stone clutched in my hand, even though it was under my pillow when I fell asleep. Strange? Perhaps. Or maybe I just like the way it feels in my hand.
Our dreams are voyages into our subconscious minds. We should listen to the messages we are given in dreams. They can be very healing.
I am strong enough to let him go and I do it with love.

No comments:
Post a Comment